Tuesday 9 October 2012

Wednesday Wonders - Goji Berries


Hi again. I hope you guys had an amazing Thanksgiving! I sure did! I tried this amazing Lentil Nut loaf from Angela Liddon at Oh She Glows and it was great although I modified the recipe quite a bit from the original. I will share it with you soon (It would be great for Christmas!).
I have been thinking that I am giving you all these recipes but not introducing the foods I am cooking with in so I decided that it is time for you to know all about them! From now on, Wednesdays will be Wednesday Wonders! I will present you something new every week and I hope this will help develop your knowledge and excitement for food because I have never been that excited about food in my life, and it’s wonderful!
Some people find it’s scary to think about veganism or a plant based diet and that’s exactly why I want to share my journey with you. To show you that, not only it will be better for your health, the animals and the environment, but it can also taste great! In fact, way tastier than a regular diet if you ask me! I am not trying to convince you to do anything. I just want to help open your horizons on the subject and share my passion for food along the way. So, Wednesday Wonders #1 here we go…

 Goji Berries- The longevity fruit
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Goji berry plant has been grown for an estimated four thousand years. The Goji fruit is usually dried and is comparable to a raisin in texture. There is an Asian and an American variety. In Canada, the plant is growing well in provinces like in Nova Scotia and British Columbia. The Goji berry, named the longevity fruit, is known for its anti-aging effects. As we grow old, the production of the Human Growth Hormone in our body decreases which has been linked to symptoms of aging. The Goji berries help the body naturally produce more HGH which makes it a great anti-aging Superfood!
 
They are also a great source of antioxidants, boost our immune system, increase alkalinity in the body (you really want that), increase liver protection, improves eyesight (as more beta-carotene than carrots) and improves blood quality. It also contains 19 different amino acids and 21 trace minerals including Zinc, Iron, Copper, Calcium, Vitamins B1, B2, B6 and Vitamin E.
And the most important thing of all… they taste great! Now you want to get these berries organic (like everything else) so they are not sprayed with pesticides and/or Sulfur Dioxide. They are a light red colour so be careful with getting really red ones because they could have been dyed (eek!). I like to eat mine just like that, in soup, smoothies or soaked. There’s lots of ways you can use them and one of my favorites is in a jam!
I never really liked jam because I didn’t get the idea of really sweet spread on a toast. But now that I make my own, I actually can’t stop eating it (especially with almond butter wooah!). The funny thing about Goji berries is that once they are soaked in water they turn into a jelly like texture which is perfect for thickening the jam without gelatin (Which is made by boiling of pork skin, cartilage, horns and cattle bones. Yum!) HaHa! I also like to make the jam raw to get the full nutrient value in the fruits.
Blueberry Goji Jam
 
Prep Time: 5 minutes   Waiting time: 30 minutes    Cooking time: 0      Servings: 750ml
Ingredients:
2 cups frozen Blueberries (or fresh but they are almost never available)
1/4 cup Goji Berries soaked
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Chia seeds
1 Tbsp. Agave nectar
 Soak the Goji Berries in  1/2 cup water for at least 30 minutes (could be longer if you want to do this step in advance). Add 1/4 cup of the soaking water, Goji berries, blueberries and Agave to the food processor and blend until smooth. Add the Chia seeds and stir everything up to make sure the they are well incorporated into the mix. Place in the fridge in a container or jar. It will look a bit watery at first but the Chia seeds will expand in the water and make the jam thicker. Enjoy it on a toast with almond butter or with some crackers!
 
Stay tune for next Wednesday’s Wonder!
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment