Sunday 7 October 2012

Orange Blueberry Waffles with Mango Coulis + Apple Sauce Recipe


Its thanksgiving weekend and I started my day thinking about how grateful I am for everything I have. We are so use to think about what we don’t have and what we have to have to be happy. It’s always about the next purchase, the next promotion, the last 10 pounds, the next vacation, etc. When I saw David Wolfe in Edmonton he was constantly repeating that every day is the best day ever. That stuck with me. For weeks I was thinking about how I would love for every day to be the best ever and how far I was from that. Then, I just decided that it was going to be, just because I said so J. It’s actually sooo easy! All you have to do is find out the things that make you happy and incorporate them into your daily life! Doing stuff you love will help you to stop thinking about the things you don’t want, the people you don’t like and everything that upsets you because you will be too busy enjoying yourself! It’s so hard to focus on more than one thing at once, so if you concentrate on the good, you’ll leave all the bad behind. So I guess what I am trying to say this thanksgiving is: I am really thankful that every day is the best day ever!
Bella wants to play so bad she won't let me cook!
 

Ok so, about the waffles… I’ve been thinking about waffles for a month and this morning seemed like the perfect time for it and wow was it ever worth it! If you are not feeling awesome after that breakfast I am not sure what it’s going to take (Maybe a little bit of Chaga tea which I am dying to talk to you about!).

I adapted this recipe from the Citrus Berry Whole Wheat Waffles recipe from Thefamily Kitchen. I made it once before and it was good but I think this version is a bit fluffier and healthier.

Now, before you get all scared about the apple sauce in there, you don’t have to make it yourself. You can buy unsweetened apple sauce at the store if you don’t have time (although home-made is so much better!).  I am including the recipe here because I think it’s always good to have it in the fridge to bake other stuff or even just for snacks. I make a big batch of it every couple of weeks so it’s ready to go when I need it.

One last thing: I now only use Vanilla beans in my recipes instead of the extract and I suggest you do the same. I discovered those a few months ago and they have the most amazing flavour ever! They come in a glass tube of about 5 beans. Once you open the tube you get this addicting aroma and you just want to shove it all in your month (don’t). Even the pets were all after me as soon as I took one out! Cut the bean in half lengthwise and scrape all the black seeds out with a knife. Put it in whatever you are baking and that’s it! If you have sugar at home, you can put the leftover shell in it to get Vanilla flavoured sugar. The vanilla beans are a bit more pricy than the regular extract but so so worth it. You can find them at Costco for cheap ($12 for 10 beans).
 
 
Apple Sauce Recipe
Prep time: 10 min (Try to challenge that by peeling faster! J)  Cooking time: 25 min   
Servings: 3x500ml mason jars

 
Ingredients:
10 Apples
2 ¾ cups of Fruits Juice (I use all natural Pineapple and papaya juice but any kind not from    concentrate is good)
Half a Vanilla bean
 
Peel the apples, cut in pieces and put in a big pot (don’t add the cores). Add the juice and bring to a boil over medium heat. Return the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool down for a few minutes. Transfer everything in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the vanilla (Don’t put in the whole bean! Did you read the note above?) and process 1 minute more. Transfer into mason jars when it’s still warm and seal them.

If you think it’ll take you a while to eat all of it you can do the proper conservation method and warm the mason jars in the oven (150F) for 10 minutes before pouring in the sauce. Keep the metal caps in hot water as well until it’s time to seal. When you hear “pop” and the jars are cooler you can place them in the fridge.

Alright! Now that you know how to make the apple sauce, let’s make those waffles.
*I started writing my post this morning and I then I went for a hike. I just got back and ate another one cold with some apple sauce. It was arguably even better than warm (Only one left already! :S).

Orange Blueberry Waffles with Mango Coulis
Prep time: 10 min    Cooking time: 3 min    Servings: 6 Waffles (Forget leftovers. They won’t make it to dinner time)



Ingredients:
Waffles:

1 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour                                                                     
1/2 cup Apple Sauce                                                                                        
1/3 cup Coconut oil                                                                                           
1/2 cup Water                                                                                                     
1/2 cup Almond Milk
2 Tbsps. Agave Nectar
1 Orange, peeled/diced
1/2 Tsp. Orange Zest
2 Tsp. baking powder
1/2 Vanilla Bean
1/2 Tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 dashes cinnamon
1/2 cup Walnuts
1 cup frozen Blueberries

1/8 cup Golden Berries for toping (Optional but so yummy!)

 
Mango Coulis:

1/2 cup Fresh or Frozen Mangos
1/4 cup Water
1/2 Tsp. Agave Nectar

 
Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat up the Coconut oil for a minute or so to turn it into liquid form. Add all wet ingredients including Coconut oil and mix well. Fold in Blueberries and walnuts. Heat up your waffle maker (rub it with Coconut oil if it has a tendency to get sticky). Pour the mixture in the waffle maker and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes each or until there is no more steam coming out.

While the waffles are cooking, mix all ingredients for the mango coulis in a blender or food processor. If you don’t have mangos don’t go on a rampage trying to find some, just use other fruits! I make it all the time with the frozen fruits I use for smoothies and it’s always good. And if you feel lazy, just use Maple Syrup. I personally don’t like anything too sweet anymore (I never thought I would say that one day!). Top with Golden Berries!

That’s it! Happy (Turkey free) Thanksgiving everyone! J

No comments:

Post a Comment